Monday, November 5, 2007

Nikki at 10 months

Nikki has grown leaps and bounds in the past 2 months. Not in terms of height/weight, but in terms of his development. The only physical growth happening with Nikki is his hair growth, he has lots of bouncy, silky, soft hair. Paati and Amma are more than happy to dress up his hair in pig tails everyday. I tried my hand at plaiting once too. [Itching to post pictures, DH not relenting yet.]

He was manageably mobile until about last month, he used to roll around and swim to reach for things. He has learnt to crawl on all fours, something I thought he would never do, because he was such a lazy ass. He can very easily pull himself up to a stand, and walk by himself holding onto the sectional in the living room. Sometimes he would just cruise with one hand on the sofa. He would never sit on his bottoms, will be mostly on his knees(vajrasana). He can climb up the stairs on his own, it happened about 10 days back. I was sitting on the stairs leading upto attic from the living room and he was trying to come to me, I thought he would just pull himself up to a stand holding onto the steps. He started climbing as though he has been doing it for years. He took 3 steps and started looking back for security, just when Paati came behind him. He climbed all the 15 steps on his own with Paati just escorting him from the behind.

He continues to babble, babble and babble non-stop. He used to call me “andha”, the past couple of weeks he calls me “annththa”, that is very close to Anitha, almost there. My heart just swells with pride whenever he calls me like this, the first couple of times I had tears. Paati is called “ambaa” or “imbaa”. Dad is called out for in loud shrieks of “yayy…”. Sometimes “dei” too. Oft repeated words: “amma”, “drriinttrraaa”, “dhinthaa”, “boommbbaa”, “thathaatha”, “tirrra”. As usual, when he is frustrated, he will go “yayyaayayaaaaa” and “ammammamamama”.

He will start saying and waving “tata” on his own without any initiation when he thinks that we are going out/ he is being taken out. This does not happen always though. And you cannot make him say/wave “tata” by force. For that matter, you cannot force him to do anything, cannot shove down an extra spoon of cereal, not an extra sip of formula, wont wave bye on demand, wont say antha on demand. The way he babbles will be almost like talking, replete with animated expressions, raising/lowering of voice and arm movements. Half the time, he does not talk/babble softly, he will be yelling at the top of his voice, you can see veins on his temples protruding out. None of us shout or scream like the way he does, don’t know where he learnt it, probably gets it from his gene pool (you know where). If you have seen the movie Baasha, imagine Rajini saying “oru thadavai sonna 100 thadavai sonna mathiri” spinning index fingers of both hands. He would keep doing that raising his voice with every “aaiii”,” yeeyyy”, any attempt to make a conversation with him during those times will be met with more yelling. He will be standing his legs well parted like a warrior ready for a sword fight, wagging his fingers and hands up & down, frowning his eyebrows, yelling at the top of his voice while tightening his face muscles and stiffening his whole body, as though he wants to scare the hell out of us. It is so much fun to watch. If we try to raise our voice more than his, he would stamp down his feet with a big thud and will raise his voice more. I will stop, fearing he will hurt his throat. Going by all this, I am not sure what future holds out for him: 1) “Nattamai” (the village chief seen in Tamil movies, pronouncing final verdicts on unsuspecting citizens), 2) speaker in one of the tamil talk shows (mainly pattimandrams), 3) if he gets to learn some civility probably he can become a lawyer.

He drools, drools and drools non-stop. I don’t know where he manufactures all that drool, his liquid intake is nowhere near his drool output. The white beds for the teeth can be seen clearly and the gums feel hard, guess he will sprout teeth in couple of weeks. You know what, the BESTest thing that happened in the past 2 months, he kissing sometimes on demand, but mostly I will be caught unawares. Amma was the only soul for whom this BESTest treat was reserved, recently paati was added to the list. Daddy has not been blessed yet, he should spend more time with him. It is not just a wet sloppy kiss, he will say “uvvvvaa” while planting his kiss and then look at you and smile while pulling your hair in all directions. If your day was blessed, when you ask him “umma kudu”, His Highness will readily oblige, melting and taking you to heaven instantly.

These days it is such a pain dressing him up after a bath. The moment you seal his diapers and reach for his shirt, he will promptly pull his diaper open and will give you a broad smile, so instead of feeling like shouting at him, you will start cuddling him. And you will spend 20 minutes dressing him up.

And he can clap, started about a week back, not on demand again. Been teaching him body parts, no luck yet I think. He sometimes pokes my eyes sometime after I say “kannu”, so not sure if he knows them. There is so much going on, I don’t think any amount of words can do justice to what is happening in our lives. He can stand on his own for about 30 seconds, the scared look on his face when he does it is absolutely priceless. I want to write more, but this has been in my drafts for nearly 10 days now, the longer it sits there, the lengthier it is going to become. So I am stopping here, anything interesting will be published as a new post.

I love you da my chella kutti, more than anything in this world. As I write this, you are sleeping with your Daddy. You are being virtually hugged, kissed and bitten by me. Sometimes I feel like running you through the blender, gulp down every drop of your juice and have you recreated in my womb, just for myself. I don’t want to share you with anyone. UMMMA.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Well written Anitha!!!
Swapna

Anonymous said...

LOL on him calling you andha and dad dei! Maybe he heard you calling DH dei. he he. Sweet update, though the way you have narrated is having me laugh out loud.

Premalatha said...

//me. Sometimes I feel like running you through the blender, gulp down every drop of your juice and have you recreated in my womb, just for myself//

Awww. :-)

Sue said...

I know what you mean about wanting to have him back inside you, cannibalistic as it may sound! :) A friend of ours said the same thing (before I was even married) and I was a little shocked, but now I know exactly what the feeling is like!

mnamma said...

LOL on calling his Appa 'Dei'. Somehow, like DDMom I have a sneaking suspicion that it is somehow connected to you :) And ROTFL on the Naatamai :)))) I can imagine kutti Nikki in a veshti, white kurta and angavasthiram LOL! And I do that chella kadi to Madhu and Nandhu also :) Very sweet update!

Just Like That said...

Hey, Happy Diwali to you and yours.:-D Will be back to read and comment leisurely

Premalatha said...

Happy Diwali Anitha.

Squiggles Mom said...

On the drool - join the club. Squiggles is Drool Queen. We run through several napkins/bibs a day. Her dress is always wet irrespective of how many times I change her and my left shoulder is constantly drool soaked!

Happy Deepavali!

Anusha said...

aww what a sweet update! another rowdi in the making looks like. lol at his nattamai act!

all that drool means one of two things - the western funda says, drool = teething. grandma says, drool = quick talker! maybe both in Nikki's case? :)

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Swapna: Thank you

ddmom: I used to call DH "dei" before marriage, but not now, not after having mom/mil live with us for the past 1 year.

prema: you will start feeling so in some more months.

sue: you do? when I say this my mom scolds me asking me not to say such thing about the baby. i was actually wondering if i should remove it after publishing those lines.

mnamma: actually his appa calls him "dei", that is what he receives back. he doesn't seem to mind.

JLT: thanks & come back & comment

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

prema: thanks

squiggles mom: so we have a drool king and a drool queen there. :)
I really liked you saying "Deepavali", because that is how we say it too. "Diwali" always sounds little bit foreign to me, guess it is easy to type for a lot of people.

kodi's mom: oh yes, actually i think he is "Dhadha in the making". what you say is right, he is both teething and going by all the babbling I think he will talk soon too.

By Deepa and Supriya said...

sweet post! Lol at calling the dad "dei" I bet you had your hand in it??
the drool--i'd say it is teething!

htp://d-orchid.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

awww, such a lovely update - give him a good squeazy hug from me too !

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

That recreating in the womb thing is so close to what I usually tell Poppin. I ask her, will you become small baby again and come into Mummy's tummy?
Ofcourse her answer is quite intelligible, but there you go:)

Very nice update, wish we could see the pictures too, Nikki's "dei" daddy - are you listening?

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

orchid: "yei" yes. "dei" - i don't think so.

2b's mommy: sure, I will and thanks.

Poppins: I think lot of us mommas have that desire - to get them back into our bellies. I sent you the pic via email