Wednesday, December 12, 2007

weaning

Girls, I have some questions on weaning:

  • How long does it take for your body to stop milk production? It is close to 1 month since I weaned Nikki, my body still has not got the message. When we stopped, I was hardly producing 2 ounces a day.

  • Can you resume breastfeeding after 3+ weeks of abstinence? (mum is advising against it, she says milk inside would have gone stale, I don't buy it, but just wanted to be sure because it was salty when I tasted it)

  • Will there be any long term health problems if your milk stays in your breasts for a long time? (not mastitis)

PS: was thinking about posting this a couple of days ago, with all the privacy issues I was holding it back a bit. Heck, this is a mommy blog and we are here to discuss these things

15 comments:

mnamma said...

I don't there would be any long term problems with this. When I weaned M and N, for around 2 weeks I was very uncomfortable (hardened breasts) but slowly things got back to normal. I was also advised against feeding them after 3+ weeks but once I was too lazy to get up and prepare a bottle for M and just breastfed M. She was all right and didn't seem to mind, but I felt guilty. But I don't think milk would go stale inside the body - may be some other medical reason, so try avoiding that. Just give your body some more time. A nice warm shower would help relieve the discomfort if it is painful.

Premalatha said...

One English lady told me the following:
keep the cabbage in fridge/freezer. take one leaf. keep it on your breast for sometime. do it often. This dries the milk out completely in a couple of days or within a week.

I do not remember the details of this method very well.

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

mnamma: A week back, did what you said - hot shower and expressing a little milk with hands. milk production right now is not much, very little but it is still there. just wondering when it will stop completely. Nikki was ok for the initial 10 days, but for the past 1 week, he seems to be missing it very badly. Since there was milk anyway, thought of resuming it. not able to decide. probably will not.

prema: will see for a couple of days and try it out.

Indian in NZ said...

Anitha, don't worry. It takes a while for the milk to completely dry off. the discomfort shouldn't last too long either. Not sure about nursing again after stopping it for a few weeks, mother's milk can't be harmful but try avoiding it if you can.

Trishna said...

Anitha,I have heard about the cabbage leaves too. at the breast-feeding class. The instructor told us that if we need to stop breast feeeding suddenly,then to just stuff the bra with fresh cabbage leaves. She said she had tried it.It is also said to reduce the discomfort.HTH

Sue said...

I just weaned The Bhablet. I've had no discomfort. A slight heaviness, and one morning I leaked a bit but that was all. But he has been down to one feed for so many months now, and even that, I've had my doubts as to how much he was having.

That was last week and I know there's still a little milk. Since it's not bothering me, I don't bother myself about it!

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

2b's mom, Trishna and Sue: Thanks for your 2 cents. I think I will try cabbage leaves this weekend. There is not much discomfort now, but there is still milk and it annoys me. Nikki is going to be 1 year in a couple of weeks, so there is no point resuming I think

noon said...

I didn't have this problem though I worried about it so much. But cabbage leaf does help. And warm compress - wet cloth in microwave for 25 sec or so and keep pressing if you are in discomfort. Also don't eat foods that help lactation for ex - methi, somph, garlic etc for a week or so. No, milk doesn't go stale in the body for sure!

Aryan-Arjun said...

Hi Anitha,
First time I am being here. Nice blog.
Regarding milk going stale..It will not. once, I asked this to the docter. But I don't know about the other weaning comfort techniques, because I have still not weaned aryan. I should do that..but still reluctant to take the step.
BTW—How did you wean?
Aryan's Mom

Cee Kay said...

Well, I am least qualified to comment on this topic as I didn't lactate well and couldn't nurse my daughters much but I do know this - if you hand-express the milk, your body will make more. Lactation mostly works on the demand-and supply rule - the supply adjusts automatically to whatever the demand is. If you stop, your body should stop making milk eventually. Hope everything goes well.

DDmom said...

I did not have much issues the first time as there was hardly any supply :) Just felt heaviness for few days, a warm compress and hot shower helped. Hope you are already feeling better..
Second time it feels different, will come back to this post in due course of time.

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

noon: I had vendhaya kozhambu for 3 days in the last week. I forgot to eliminate lactation-friendly stuff in my diet. DH forgot to get cabbage this week's grocery purchase. should try it, it seems to be the overwhelming solution.

aryan's mom: welcome to my blog and thanks. weaning - it happened gradually, will do a post and let you know.

CeeKay: my problem is supply is not reducing despite the absence of demand. I hand expressed just once because I thought pumping will express more milk and would increase the demand and hence the supply.

ddmom: hot showers help me, but I get the discomfort feeling every week or less. It is 1 month now since I weaned him.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes cabbage leaves on the breast worked well.

Also mint(to be eaten) reduces milk supply.

I typed a long comment couple of days back and blogger swallowed it :(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

you still get milk after a year or so, if you squeeze them tight enough. Milk from your body is never bad. Please nurse your tot whenever you feel like it. It is totally fine, only thing is the supply would have dropped off after not feeding for 3 weeks. I fed my twins for upto 2 years. After around 18 months, it was mostly only during naps, pacifing, and night times. I loved every minute.