Duddu kutti resists changes in food so valiantly, that he brings out everything from his stomach (even leftovers from his previous meal), swooshing the contents all over himself and me. He started on solids, mainly on rice & oats cereal when he turned 4 months. I let him taste bananas, peas, carrots, applesauce (all that is avaiable in Stage 1 Gerber & Beechnut brands) once a day. They were invariably welcomed with disgusted looks, followed by loud cries and the few attempts to force feed will result in spraying of food all over my face. (He had bananas a couple of times without crying) I thought, he is just starting on solids, let me not introduce too much variety before he gets used to this mode of eating... And so, I waited for 6 months...
now, as I try feeding him fruits & veggies not heeding to his cries, he has learnt vomiting stuff that he doesn't like. Sometimes he will vomit a good 1.5 hours after eating. I am not for force-feeding, but I want him to learn healthy eating habits (unlike DH).He loves his cereals though... even if I sneak in a little fruit in his cereal, he is able to find it out and he immediately attempts to vomit, or mimicks vomiting... MIL wants me to mix it with sugar, something I don't want to do... (again healthy eating habits - no salt, no sugar)... I tried making fruit purees myself at home instead of store bought jars, nothing works with him... Tried giving him idli, again a BIG NO NO... this time he vomited on our bed and I had to change my dress, give him a bath and change the sheets too.
I am not sure why he vomits though... one thing I can think of is food allergy... I have eliminated bananas from his diet because along with vomiting, his eczema rashes flared up... I doubt if he is so smart that he can willfully vomit when he wants to... ???? hmmmmmm........
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
trials with solids - part1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hey, thanks for dropping by. Don't give him the fruits till he's ready to eat it without vomiting. Children are very capable of forcing themselves to puke willingly.
Try jaggery if you don't want to use sugar. Salt also sparingly is fine I guess. You can't keep them away from this for long anyways ! That's my 2 cents, take it or leave it :)
Hi Poppins,
Thanks for stopping by. Thats what i thought too.. Give him salt/sugar sparingly... jaggery is a good idea... will try it.
Hi Anitha,
Welcome to Blogdom (or is it Blogsphere). Like you, I got introduced to the Indianmommies and desimomz blogspot by Boo and I find all the posts informative. Some Moms are just so humorous! I don't know if I could ever write in their calibre! Like Poppins said, don't give him fruits or vegetable before he is ready for it. There is organic cane sugar which is available in most stores now which is a good alternative for bleached sugar. Also the cane sugar blends in easier with cereal or kanji. Hope this helps!
Hi mnamma,
thanks for visiting my blog. He has been on cereals for more than 2months now, think it is a good time to start introducing him to new food tastes... hmm.. cane sugar is a good option too.. his eczema rashes have flared up this week... planning not to try anything new until it subsides...
I Know what it is , he has got reflux even my baby has reflux .check it out in goolge.Nothing to be worried about but its a bit painful for the babies
Hai Anitha, nice posts and that was true to the T with my elder son appy. He used to the exact same thing when I tried solids.
By the way where do u live in mass,we live in mass too.
@Anonymous: Thanks for your comment, he has been having acid reflux since he was born and is having medication for it. I doubt if it is reflux related, since it comes out only when it is given against his wishes.
@Sree: Hi Sree, welcome to my blog and thanks for stopping by. Looks like this is more common with babies. Nice to know someone from Mass. I live in woburn. Where do you live?
HI Anitha...thanks for stopping by. I have left a huuuuge reply for you to read!!!
one of my kids too had a vomitting problem when he was around 7-8 months old..and how did we get over it? Just gave him how much he wanted of what he wanted...some days it was almost nothing but just milk..and after a week..he started eating every thing put into his plate!!!
Hi Anitha,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. My bro had the vomiting problem till he was quite grown up. His stomach was too small to accomodate food beyond a certain limit at a time. May be you could check with the ped.
Hope to see more posts on your blog.
@Krisnnapriya: Thanks for stopping by. That is what is happening now. We (I) give him what he wants, let me see how he takes new food after couple of weeks. When my MIL feeds him he is always force-fed, I cannot say anything to her. :)
@Asha: Thanks for stopping by. Ped is asking me not to give foods that he doesn't seem to like. :)
hmmm. when I started Sonny boy on solids, gave him home made ragi. Its quite easy, tho, not very time consuming. you need to soak the ragi overnight and them grind it in the mixie. Strain it, and then cook it with milk till it thickens. You can choose the consistency you want. For two table spoons of ragi, I took about half a glass of milk and 1& 1/2 tea spoons of sugar. You can use salt too, tho I dunno the amount , maybe a pinch?
It is very healthy for babies, supposed to be easily digestible. Maybe till he gets used to the idea of solids, you could make his feed sweet or salty, and then bring it down. I used to give Sonny boy milk without sugar for a long time.
Just gave you the process if you wnated to try it out. Good luck with solids for Duddu, anyways. Maybe you could try honey too..?
Btw, the above quantity is for two feeds. Half can be kept aside and used for the next feed.
Post a Comment