Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Am Back!

Landed here in the US of A, 3 weeks back. For the first time in the past 15 months, it is just me DH and Nikki in our home. We are on our own. It is nice in a way, but I do miss my mom. 3 loads of laundry (DH did not do laundry for the 1 month he was without us here), 7 packed bags waiting to be unloaded, handling Nikki completely on my own, cooking at least 2 meals a day, my hands are really full. I have been lurking around in all the mommy blogs, lot of exciting announcements happening (Congrats Poppin's mom, Moppet's mom, Lavs, Kodi's mom and Boo), new mommies, missed birthdays, there was a whole lot to catch up. It was fun reading all of your blogs. Thanks mnamma, it was your post that prompted me to write this update.

Big news from us(no no, not what you are thinking :-)) : Nikki started going to day care. It is 2.5 weeks now since he started and he is still crying, crying and crying. And refuses to eat anything there, he just starves and come home. Picked up cold there during the 2nd week and shuns food at home too. And guess where he is on the percentile chart?? He dropped out of it :-((((((. I simply am at a loss about how to feed this child. I feel miserable, incapable, inadequate,..., ... because my child is underweight. More about our eating struggles in the next post.

The trip was good and bad. ILs started quarreling from day 5, and it spoilt the entire mood of my vacation. I did not contact any of my friends, one friend contacted me knowing that I was here through one of my relatives. I do not want to delve into details, for I am trying to forget what happened. The relationship will not work. period. I do not know why they hate us so much. For now, I have decided to stop talking to them, it does not make sense and I am sure they do not wish to speak to me. You need efforts from 2 sides in order to make a relationship work. I can be at peace with myself, I did my best to make things work and if they are not taken in the right sense, I cannot help it.

One of the following 2 things should be true :

1. They are insane

OR

2. They are such greedy ego-maniacs who are incapable of love (not towards 3rd parties, even towards their own son, DIL and grandson).

Nikki and V(my cutest, sweetest niece whom I am meeting for the first time) & some retail therapy were the antidote to all these depressive things that were happening. It was so nice to see them both interact, Nikki calling V akka and she calling him Thambi, the duo would melt anybody's heart (as though one is not enough). I wish I could just package V into a suitcase and get her here.

Nikki's mottai function(he cried and cried and cried and cried till he couldn't cry anymore, I felt so bad for him) went on well with minor glitches(ILs sitting in the temple bad-mouthing me & our family, telling all nonsense to anyone who was willing to lend them their ears, I really wonder how I kept my calm).

Nikki got his first pair of pearlies during the trip and along with the mottai, he is looking utterly butterly cute. I will be home for the next 2 weeks, before I join my new job(oh yeah, more abt it later) and hopefully everything falls into routine by then.

14 comments:

Anusha said...

hey welcome back! for some reason, I thought your stay in india got extended...whoa, you really do have a handful.
and hey, don't kill yourself for his poor eating/poor weight gain. look at it this way - he's going through tremendous changes, it is only a matter of time before he settles into a pattern and then you can focus on his eating.

till then, hang in there, will you? and blog more, there's no therapy like it ;)

mnamma said...

You are back!!!! Nice to see your update Anitha. Don't hit yourself for his poor weight gain. It really is a huge change for Nikki to be in India and then starting daycare here. Wait some more time until things stabilize a little bit. And ignoring ILs bad mouthing does help a little bit. Reacting to everything ILs say, would lead to further arguments and worsen the situation. I sometimes wish I could have the boon of temporary deafness so that I don't hear what they say. I know it is a bit silly. Think about the good times with your niece and your family and try to forget about the confrontations.

Savani said...

welcome back! sorry to hear about the IL troubles. Don't beat yourself iver it, OK? and as kodi's mom said, blog and blog. there is no therapy like it.

Trishna said...

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy welcome back!! And I am sorry your vacation got spoilt..hugs! but u did the right thing by ignoring and reducing contact.. that s the only thing that works.. Just tune that part out and remember the days u spent with ur family and the lovely niece.. all happy times!
And I totally agree with Kodi's mom and dot mom.. blog more!! that helps!
Oh and for some reason,ur ticker says its Nikki's 1st birthday! Happy birthday to him ( or belated )

IBH said...

heyy welcome back! was thinking might ur stay is extended out there....all th ebest iwith everything..i guess till u back there there is no meetig them or like that...so blog more will ya :)

Just Like That said...

:-) Welcome back.
And am glad your vacation had happy moments to balance out the bad.
Am sorry abt Nikki not eating.Have you tried giving him his faourtie foods? But yeah, like the others said, he's been thru a lot of upheavals. so huess he will come around.

Tharini said...

Hi. :)

You haven;t posted in a while. All is well? Do write in about yourself and Nikki.

In the meantime, how do I reach you over email? Can you mail me?
tharinid@gmail.com

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Sorry commenting really late ! Just wanted to peek in and say Hello. Please do write, you've gotten us a bit worried now!

Shobana said...

Welcome back!!! We need pics of the little one...come on. You say so many nice things and no pics??? **Pouting and sulking*** I am sure Nikki will settle down in a bit... must be all those changes.

As for the IL's...please just forget about them and carry on... and do blog lots.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Hope things have settled down..
Hope Nikki is doing better in terms of eating. Kids do lose their apetite while traveling and changing places.
PS: This post is dated sometime in March. All ok?

Mystic Margarita said...

First-timer on your blog. Read some of your old posts - can so empathize with you. Hope Nikki is eating better now. Will definitely be back soon to read more of your older, and hopefully some new posts.

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Ok you've been back for a really long time now. Why no new posts?

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

All: Thanks so much for all your concern. I am very much here. Very Very very busy. The new job did not materialise and I had to do some serious job search(market isn't that good now) and now I am all set to start with the new one on Monday. Did some re-org around the house and some de-cluttering too. I have been reading all the blogs but commenting rarely.

b v said...

hi liked your post i am in the same boat ... IL are just so mean and bitchy :(

but as i say there loss :_(